Social Justice at Midcoast UU Fellowship
Our Fellowship strives to be an integral part of our wider community, and to promote and support social justice issues. Our commitment to social justice takes shape in many ways, in gestures large and small. We always welcome ideas about how we can be an affirming presence and instrument of positive change locally, state-wide, nationally, and globally.
Maine Unitarian Universalist State Advocacy Network (MUUSAN)
Our Fellowship joins 27 UU congregations from across the State of Maine to advocate our UU principles in the public square. MUUSAN promotes faith in action regarding important areas of legislative and public policy to create a more just society. Current Issue Groups focus on Democracy in Action, Health Care, and Climate Change. All members are encouraged to attend MUUSAN meetings.
Every month with a fifth Wednesday, our Fellowship cooks and serves a Community Supper at the Second Congregational Church in Newcastle. Volunteers are always needed and welcome.
Share the Plate
Once a month we dedicate the financial donations collected during the worship service to a designated local nonprofit organization. The members of the Fellowship nominate and vote annually on the the chosen organizations. Our designated 2017 recipients are:
- CHIP (Community Housing Improvement Housing Project) - to support their winter fuel assistance program for those in need.
- Ecumenical Food Pantry of Newcastle - the Twin Villages anchor program for food insecurity.
- FARMS (Focus on Agriculture in Rural Maine Schools) - Focus on Agriculture in Rural Maine Schools to support their new outreach programs to local food pantries.
- Healthy Kids - A Family Resource - Lincoln County's child abuse and neglect prevention program.
- MUUSAN (Maine Unitarian Universalist State Advocacy Network) - our Fellowship's connection to statewide social justice advocacy in the public square.
- New Hope for Women - Lincoln County's support for those affected by domestic violence, dating violence and stalking.
- Restorative Justice Project of the Midcoast - promotes fundamental change in the justice system and schools.
- OUT Maine - partners with schools, clergy, health care workers to focus on needs of LGBTQ youth and families in rural Maine.
- Pine Tree Society - comprehensive programs for both children and adults with disabilities and their families.